This is part of a series where I review local playgrounds in and around Whanganui. Non-locals will want to skip this!
Lorenzdale Park in located in Gonville, and is bordered by Duigan St, Mueli St, and Swiss Ave.
The park has two play areas:
A toddler’s area with swings (bucket seat swings and regular swings), a seesaw, and a climbing frame with a tunnel and two slides.
And a really cool climbing frame for older kids, the like of which I’ve not seen before. Kids need to be pretty dexterous to navigate it, but it looks like great fun. It’s hard to tell from the picture below, but it has little mini-trampoline pads suspended in mid-air…
There is a fair bit of green space to kick a ball around or play a game, plus there is a ball court (one hoop only) for practicing shots.
I really like this playground. It’s tucked away from the traffic, and was really clean and tidy. I can’t wait for Sausage to be old enough to play on the bigger climbing frame. We’ll definitely be back.
- Great for kids of all ages
- Seats for tired parents – that are actually close to the play equipment!
- Play equipment is reasonably new and in good working order
- Really quiet location
- The school-age play area is a real novelty
- NO SHADE. There is one big tree near the ball court which is quite far from the play areas, while the other trees in the park are at the opposite end of the reserve. Dear Whanganui Council, parents do need somewhere to sit without get roasted in the hot NZ sun.
- It’s not fenced, but the location seems to get very little traffic going past.
- No rubbish bin.
- No picnic table.
Tots in Tawhero rating: 7/10