Apologies to my Northern Hemisphere THM readers, but we in New Zealand are in the throes of Winter (not that it gets very cold in Whanganui), and for me this means lots of hearty stews and soups. If you are currently sweltering in the summer heat, pin this for later.
Here’s a great winter warmer for you, a favourite recipe that I have THMified. In terms of prep, it’s not quick, as you have to cut and peel a pumpkin (if anyone has a super-fast method for doing this, please let me know!), but once you’ve done that, it’s cinch to throw everything else in the slow cooker and leave it for the rest of the day.
Slow-Cooker Curried Pumpkin Soup (serves 8)
1kg/220lbs peeled and diced pumpkin
1 large kumara/sweet potato, peeled and diced
1 400g/14oz can diced tomatoes in juice
1 onion, finely chopped
6 cups chicken stock
2 tsp curry powder
1 tsp cumin
3/4 cup almond milk
- Preheat slow cooker while you prep the ingredients.
- Place pumpkin, kumara, tomatoes, onion, pepper and stock in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook for 5-7 hours on high.
- Add curry powder, cumin and almond milk.
- Puree using a stick whizz or food processor.