This is the first in a series I will do of all the playgrounds in and around Whanganui (sorry overseas readers, you’ll want to skip reading these unless you have a burning desire to see New Zealand playgrounds 🙂 ).
Okay. Let’s crack on.
Lundon Park is on Carson Street and is opposite the back entrance of Castlecliff School.
The park has heaps of green space, enough for a game of cricket or an epic battle of Bullrush. There are several areas of play equipment dotted around the park.
It has several seesaws and swings.
And a weird hanging hoop structure that you can see in the background of the picture above if you squint. The park also has a slightly derelict-looking skate/scooter ramp area.
- Heaps of green space, lots of play equipment so it’s good for a big group of kids.
- Toddler-friendly climbing frame
- Play equipment is all in good working order
- Quiet street (when school is not in session)
- There is some seating for tired parents
- Skate park area is attractive for older kids
- The playground looks TIRED. The paint on the play equipment is faded and peeling and just looks a bit meh. There was nothing wrong with any of the equipment when I visited, but the Council needs to tart this baby up.
- There is NO SHADE anywhere near the play equipment. Sigh. This is a major grumble of mine as most of the playgrounds in Whanganui have little to no shade. It’s not such a big deal if you have older kids who can be watched from a distance while Mum or Dad takes a break under a tree. Unfortunately I visited on a blazing hot day with Chipolata in tow who was in need of a feed, and the only tree was quite a way from the play area. Sausage is too little to be left to her own devices on play equipment at the moment, so Chip and I got rather hot and bothered while he fed, and I had to cut the outing short as a result. Most parents like to play with their kids for a bit, and then chill out while watching them have fun – so come on Whanganui City Council, plant some trees!
- There were some toilets there, but they looked scruffy and were locked when I went there, and looked like they hadn’t been in action for some time.
- The playground is not fenced so if you have a renegade tot who likes to take off, this may not be the park for you.
- No picnic tables (not that they are necessary, just a nice-to-have.
Tots in Tawhero rating: 4/10
I apologise for the rubbish photos, it was such a sunny day most of the photos I took were too washed out!